My husband is an amazing soup cook – this soup is inspired by his recipe. Enjoy [chicken] noodle soup or SuperSwap to [chickpea] noodle soup instead for hearty doses of plant protein and fiber. Serving the noodles separately allows you to control portions, while adding kale to the broth offers a dose of blood-building vitamin K and immune-boosting vitamin C.
Time: 45 minutes | Servings: Makes 16 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced (about 3 cups)
- 8 carrots, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 8 celery stalks, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch kale (about 5-6 cups chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 12 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cooked
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 12 ounces brown rice noodles, cooked & tossed w/ 1 teaspoon olive oil (to prevent sticking)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt. Cook for ~10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and onions are translucent.
- Add kale and garlic, cook for an additional 7 minutes.
- Add veggie broth and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover, and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Ladle some veggie soup base into your bowl. Then make it YOUR WAY by adding your choice of protein (chicken or chickpeas) + noodles (a little or a lot).
NOTE: This makes a lot of soup. Great for eating through the week or freeze extra for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Facts for [Your-Way] Noodle Soup
1 cup soup base only
Makes 16 cups
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.