Minimize the need for sodium by using low sodium broth and adding antioxidant-rich herbs and seasonings.
Servings: 6 Print Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or stock
- 1.5 cups dried split yellow peas, sorted and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- finely chopped fresh mint
- finely chopped fresh cilantro
- lime juice
- In soup pot, sauté oil, onion, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, ginger and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth and dried peas.
- Bring to boil, cover partially and simmer for 45 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash half of the pea mixture for a thicker consistency.
- Serve yellow dahl on brown rice with toppings (yogurt, mint, cilantro, lime juice).
Nutritional Facts for Yellow Dahl with Brown Rice
2 cups w/sauce
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.