Pureed soups provide a creamy texture without adding milk or a thickening agent. This soup earns extra points for containing 2 cups of the superfood, kale.
- 3 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped kale (remove stems)
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped (remove stem & seeds)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, sliced into 6 wedges
- 6 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, sliced into 6 wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray and slice into thin strips.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, until crisp. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil, onions, garlic, cumin and paprika for 2 minutes. Add kale and poblano pepper and cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Use hand blender to puree soup until smooth. Be careful pureeing hot soup!
- When serving, top each bowl with: 1/4 cup baked tortilla strips, 1/4 cup black beans, 1 avocado wedge, 1 Tablespoon cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Note: Craving a spicier kick? Add a seeded and diced jalapeño in Step 4, above.
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Tortilla Soup
1.5 cups soup + toppings
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.