I need grilled cheese with my tomato soup, so here’s the SuperSwap version…mini grilled cheese croutons swimming on top!
Time: 35 minutes | Servings: 4
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- One 28-ounce can no-salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
GRILLED CHEESE CROUTONS
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, toasted (so the croutons are crunchy!)
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (not American or processed cheese)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, for serving
1. MAKE THE SOUP: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, spinach, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and basil (save a few leaves for garnish) and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to maintain a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to a semismooth consistency, being careful not to splash yourself with hot soup.
2. MAKE THE CROUTONS: Preheat the broiler. Top each slice of toast with cheese and place them on a baking sheet. Broil for 4 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling. Cut the toast into crouton-size pieces.
3. ASSEMBLE: Drizzle the soup with the vinegar and top with the croutons and remaining basil.
OH YEAH, ONE MORE THING...
GF Swap: Use gluten-free bread.
Broth: I like to keep vegan organic bouillon cubes around to make an easy broth anytime. There are no-salt-added versions available, too.
Vinegar: Drizzling tart vinegar on soup wakes up the flavor. I love lime on black bean soup and lemon on lentil soup, since tart citrus brightens flavors, too.
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.