Substitute lentils and rolled oats in place of ground beef to create a healthy meatless loaf. Lentils are a great meat replacement providing ample protein and fiber.
85 • Servings: 8 Print Recipe
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 6 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 3 ½ tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 4 Tablespoons + 2 Tablespoons organic ketchup, split
- 1 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring lentils, water, and salt to boil and simmer about 30 minutes, until tender.
- In a small bowl, stir flaxseed meal and water, let sit about 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- In skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, zucchini, garlic, sage and oregano in olive oil for 8 minutes.
- Drain lentils if there’s any water leftover and blend with hand blender until semi-smooth.
- Place rolled oats in blender for 1-2 pulses until just slightly broken up.
- Stir together cooked lentils, flax mixture, sautéed vegetable mixture, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, 4 tablespoons ketchup, and soy sauce.
- Put mixture into loaf pan misted with cooking spray and top with 2 Tablespoons ketchup.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until firm.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutritional Facts for Sunflower Lentil Loaf
1 slice (1")
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.