Get the same satisfying & nourishing effect of soup during the summer. This soup even provides a healthy dose of protein & vitamin C.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds), chopped
- 1 can (16 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- Lemon Pepper Topping:
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek/strained yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In large soup pot, sauté onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and chickpeas and sauté for an additional 6-8 minutes, until zucchini is almost tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together topping ingredients (yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper). Refrigerate.
- Add in broth, bring to a boil, and turn off heat.
- Puree soup with fresh basil until smooth.
- Serve soup room temperature with dollop of topping.
- NOTE: This recipe can be made vegan by swapping 1 tablespoon of vegan pesto in place of the Lemon Pepper Topping.
Nutritional Facts for Summer Zucchini & Basil Soup
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.