An authentic Indian recipe created with Meenakshi Wadhwa. Bring real Indian flavors to life with these healthy potato and green pea samosas and Indian pesto.
Servings: 4 Dozen
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced (about 1 medium sized onion)
- 2 Tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 1.5 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 Tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 oz) small square wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- Indian Pesto:
- 2.5 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 3-4 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put potatoes in a pot covered with cold water, Bring to boil and simmer until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then use a fork to mash and fluff the potatoes. Place in a mixing bowl.
- In a large pan, sauté oil, onions, jalapeno, ginger and peas for about 5-6 minutes. Add cumin and garam masala and sauté another minute. Pour over mashed potatoes.
- To potatoes add salt, pepper and lime juice to taste and stir in cilantro.
- To form the samosas, take a tablespoon of the cooled filling and place in center of the wonton wrapper. Fold edges of wrapper over into shape of a rectangle. Seal the edges of the wrapper with water and press closed with fork. Repeat process until you have used up all the filling, about 4 dozen samosas.
- Place the samosas on a sheet pan and spray both sides with the cooking spray.
- Bake the samosas in the preheated oven for 10 minutes on one side, turn over and bake the other side for another 6 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- FOR PESTO: In food processor or blender, puree all the ingredients except salt, agave nectar and lime juice until smooth.
- Add salt, agave nectar and lime juice to taste
Nutritional Facts for Samosas with Indian Pesto
2 samosas + 1 T pesto
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.