Slash the excessive salt of canned soups with this recipe boasting the comfort of tomato soup and grilled cheese. Perfect meal to make when the temperature falls.
Servings: 6 Print Recipe
- 6 pounds tomatoes, cut in half
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3-4 cups water
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 2 slices 2% cheddar cheese
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mist tomatoes with cooking spray, arrange on baking sheet skin side down, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes.
- In large pot, sauté onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, water, salt and pepper to the pot. Puree the mixture with a hand blender until semi-smooth.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place cheese on bread, put on baking sheet, broil for 5 minutes until cheese bubbles/bread is toasted and cut into 1” bites.
- Serve soup with drizzle of balsamic vinegar and cheese croutons on top.
- Optional topping: fresh chopped basil
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
1.5 cups soup + 5 croutons
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.