For a meat-free meal on the barbie, grill tofu cutlets brushed with BBQ sauce and serve over fresh greens and chopped veggies. A grill pan would also work to sizzle the tofu pieces.
- Chipotle BBQ Sauce (makes 1 cup):
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (14 oz) extra firm tofu
- Grapeseed oil, for brushing
- 8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups frozen, thawed corn kernels (use fire-roasted frozen corn if available)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In blender, puree BBQ sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Cut tofu into 4 cutlets, press out extra water, brush with oil and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side (until they easily release from grill grates and grill marks appear).
- Brush with BBQ sauce and heat for another 2 minutes.
- Toss Romaine, spinach, tomatoes, corn, onions, avocado, lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. NOTE: The tossed avocado, lime juice and oil coat the salad ingredients/become the dressing.
- Serve grilled tofu on top of tossed salad.
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle BBQ Tofu Salad
3.5 oz BBQ tofu + 4 cups salad
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.