Wheatberries and roasted squash provide an extraordinary texture to this festive, fall salad.
- 1 cup uncooked wheatberries
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 green onions, sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of nutmeg & cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Bring wheatberries, water and salt to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook (stirring occasionally) for 60 minutes, until tender/water absorbed.
- Place squash cubes on cookie sheet, mist with cooking spray and bake for 25 minutes. Turn cubes.
- Turn oven to broil and cook squash cubes for an additional 15 minutes until golden.
- Mix together cooked wheatberries, squash, pecans, cranberries, onions and salt & pepper.
- Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and toss with wheatberry salad.
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Wheatberry Salad
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.