Move over meat. Tempeh takes the center stage by minimizing calories in this tangy sandwich.
- 1 package (8 ounces) tempeh
- Oil for brushing (such as grapeseed)
- 1/4 cup Franks ™ original hot sauce
- 3 Tablespoons melted Earth Balance™ (butter spread)
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns, toasted (Ezekiel brand – in freezer section)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 8 slices tomato
- Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Bring water, vinegar, and agave to boil.
- Put onions in a bowl and pour boiling mixture on top.
- Refrigerate onions for 1-3 hours.
- Drain and keep pickled onions for up to 7 days in fridge.
- Cut tempeh in half (length-wise). Then, cut each half into 6 strips (12 strips total).
- Brush grill pan with oil and grill tempeh 6 minutes on each side, until grill marks appear.
- Mix together hot sauce and butter spread (buffalo sauce!)
- Dunk grilled strips into buffalo sauce.
- Make sandwich: spread avocado on bun, top with tomato, pickled onions and 3 buffalo strips per sandwich.
Nutritional Facts for Buffalo Strip Sandwich
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.