When you just don’t feel like cooking:
Last week (part 1) was grocery store shortcuts.
This week (part 2) is pro tips for dining out…
cause sometimes you just wanna go OUT.
Dining out is tricky. You have less control over ingredients & portions so even when you think you’re ordering “healthy,” it’s likely way more calories & less nutrition than a similar meal you’d make at home. Research shows people who do best losing weight & keeping it off don’t dine out much…only 2.5 times out of 21 meals in a week. So, when you do dine out, make sure to use these PRO TIPS to keep your body happy…
DINE OUT LIKE A PRO…
1. RUIN Your Appetite. About 1.5 hrs before you go out, eat something to cut hunger so you don’t get to the restaurant & dive head first into the breadbasket. Try a produce + protein snack such as an apple + almonds or celery + sunflower seed butter.
2. Know BEFORE You Go. Do a few minutes of research before you’re swept up in a whirlwind of socializing & drinking. This could be as simple as perusing the online menu on your phone on the ride to the restaurant.
3. Order a Vice-Virtue BUNDLE. Pair a healthy superfood with a less-healthy craving. It’s the only way to honor both your inner health nut and wild child. At a bbq joint and really want the pulled pork? Get it – but instead of plopping it on a refined grain bun, ask to put it alongside a salad.
4. Limit FLAVORS. Research shows “variety stimulates appetite,” meaning tasting little bits of many different foods will trigger you to over eat. So if you find yourself facing a tableful of small plates or buffet-style eating, commit to your absolute favorites rather than sampling every option.
5. Entree + ONE. It’s often not just the meal that racks up CRAP calories, it’s also the add-on apps + drinks + desserts. Focus on your main and skip these extras, or at least just pick your favorite ONE. Smart: Pick an appetizer salad! When Cornell researchers gave women a 100-calorie appetizer of either a salad or garlic bread, those who had the tiny salad ended up eating 21% less of their main course.
*Printable* wallet size DINING OUT CHEAT SHEET found >>> HERE <<<
**BONUS: Hack Happy Hour**
Try THESE Happy Hour SuperSwaps featured in InStyle Magazine.