I heart my morning coffee. But hey, my usual cup of joe just got some fierce competition…
New research suggests that yerba mate (yer-bah mah-tay) tea deserves equal adoration – especially if you exercise. When sipped before a moderate workout, it can increase your calorie burn by 24%. Now that’s a skinny latte!
So what is yerba mate exactly? It’s a naturally-caffeinated (about the same as black tea) dried tree leaf from South America that can be brewed just like regular tea.
Make: Morning Mate Latte
1. Steep 1 yerba mate tea bag in 1 cup hot water for about 5 minutes.
2. Add 1/2 cup warm unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
3. Top with cinnamon.
– Steep the tea bag longer for a stronger flavor.
– Add a teaspoon of honey for a bit of sweetness.
– Use 2 tablespoons coconut milk instead of almond milk. Oh creamy.
Mmmmm… mate latte!