Overeating is a temper tantrum.
Kids throw a temper tantrum when they don’t get what they want, feel ignored or if something doesn’t go their way. When this happens, watch out!
<< insert screaming & feet stomping >>
As adults, similar outcries transform into a more socially accepted version of a temper tantrum: overeating.
Next time you overeat, ask yourself, “What’s this temper tantrum REALLY all about?”
Address your adult temper tantrum like you would a kid’s:
- Time-Out. Give yourself time to cool down. All emotions ebb & flow like waves. After a 10-min T.O., your feelings will be more in-check.
- Listen. What’s REALLY bugging you? Guess at the root issue & test a simple solution – instead of eating it numb.
- Sleep. Being overly tired will make tantrums more likely. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Feed. Being overly hungry will intensify tantrums. Make time to enjoy 3 scheduled meals each day.
- Love. Even after tantrums, kids are loved unconditionally. Be kind to yourself – even after overeating.