Substitute lentils and brown rice in place of ground beef to create a healthy meatless loaf. Lentils are a great meat replacement providing ample protein and fiber.
Time: 267 | Servings: 8
- 1.5 cups dry lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 6 Tablespoons + 2 Tablespoons organic ketchup, split
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring lentils and water to boil and simmer about 30 minutes, until tender.
- Drain lentils and mash until semi-smooth.
- In skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, zucchini, garlic, sage and oregano in oil for 8 minutes.
- Stir together cooked lentils, sautéed vegetable mixture, sunflower seeds, 6 Tablespoons ketchup, soy sauce and cooked rice.
- Put mixture into loaf pan misted with cooking spray and top with 2 Tablespoons ketchup.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until firm.
Nutritional Facts for Sunflower Lentil Loaf
1 slice (1")
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.