Serve this veggie-fied burrito in place of the traditional Mexican crowd-pleaser. Its satisfying crunch and flavorful filling will have you shouting “Olé”!
- 8 large collard green leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- Seasoned Black Beans:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (15.5) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Wash collard green leaves well, trim off thick stem (will look like tortilla) and with a fork mash the center vein to make it more pliable.
- In pot, sauté oil, onion, garlic, cumin and bell pepper for 6-8 minutes, until almost tender.
- Add beans & water. With a potato masher, mash half the beans and heat thoroughly.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Construct burrito. Wrap (like a burrito): 1/4 cup cooked rice, 1/8 avocado, 2 Tablespoons salsa and 1/4 cup seasoned beans in each collard green leaf.
NOTE: Round out the meal with a piece of fruit.
Nutritional Facts for Collard Green Burrito
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.